Friday, February 6, 2009

turning 40 and still riding horses.

Today I turn the big 4-0. I thought I would wake up feeling different.. Feeling old.. Looking older.. Joints hurting.. Maybe I would wake up and be covered in age spots (besides the ones that are already there).. Wake up with grey hair and a million wrinkles..
But guess what?? Nothing is different.. I don't look older than I did yesterday, I don't feel older than I did yesterday.. I woke up and did the same things at 40 years old, that I did at 39.. Took my daughter to the eye doctor, then to school.. Came home, let the dog out (Andrew's dog and a whole different post), and started a load of laundry.. This sounds fairly mundane.. But it's actually very exciting.. The world does not fall apart or even change because a person turns 40.. That's pretty good news..
Don't get me wrong.. I have evidence of age.. The veins in my hands are starting to bulge.. I have some crows feet and puffiness under my eyes.. Things that should be perky are looking a little more like lethargic.. But this gradual "easing" into "old" works for me..
And on the bright side, I inherited this wonderful gene from my mother.. I call it the "you don't look your age" gene.. So if need be, I could pass for at least 35..

Yesterday, I passed for 21.. Not really..
Mom and I went to Indianapolis to spend the day with my sister (celebrating me of course)..
The plans were to go to lunch and then do a little shopping..
We went to Joe's Crab Shack.. Crab legs have been my favorite food since I was two.. And I ate a pound of them for lunch yesterday (BLISS!!!)..
Craig was our waiter.. And when Craig came to our table to get our drink order, my sister practically yelled to him that it was my birthday, and she made sure to include my age (like the pin they made me wear, that said "fantastic at 40 didn't give it away)..
Craig said he would have guessed 27.. I liked Craig.. But it got better..
At the end of our meal, Kim reminded Craig that it was indeed an event.. And he walked away..
Good ol' Craig came back with a beat up straw hat and a broomstick with a horse head on one end of it..
Then my pal Craig SCREAMS to EVERYONE at Joe's Crab Shack that "This is Kerri, and she's celebrating her 21st birthday" (see why I liked him)..
He tells me (and everyone) that I must don the hat, and ride the stick pony through the Shack until he's done singing to me.. Then he whispers to me that if he is not satisfied with the way I'm riding, he will stop the song and make me start over..
So yes, ladies and gentlemen.. I rode that damn pony to impress.. After all, it was 90 miles from home, I didn't know a soul in there, and I will never see Craig or the stick version of Mr. Ed, ever again..
We're not sure if there are pictures or not.. After Kim took a couple I heard her say something about no memory card in the camera.. You see, she's older than I am.. Gotta wonder if her memory isn't a little more challenged ..
But it was a great day.. Thanks Kim and Mom for helping me celebrate.. I think I'm gonna turn 40 again next week.. Can we do Quiznos for lunch this time??

Today has been a good day to have a birthday.. And tonight I'm going to my surprise birthday dinner.. I can't wait!!!

4 comments:

Bobby X. said...

Happy21st birthday...awesome story.

Kerri said...

Thanks Bobby..
I'll think of you when I'm doing a shot of tequila tonight

Janice said...

Congratulations!! I can see you riding the pony around teh shack! Great story.

Matthew Cameron said...

hey.. happy Bday, Rollins.