Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No Comment

Many moons ago Bev Ryan told me to write a book..
An Erma Bombeck "Life is a bowl of cherries" kinda thing..
I love to write.. But, I don't call myself a writer.
As I mentioned several times I suffer from attention deficit disorder.. Which basically means my brain works like a TV remote with the channel button stuck.. I go from one thought to another without realizing it, or being able to stop it.. It also means that my fingers could never keep up with a thought, making it near impossible to get anything in type before the next fleeting thought interrupts me.
But Bev was persistent.. I can't really come up with topics like Erma.. When I write, it's always about stuff that is important to me (or super annoying)..
So I thought about what was important and decided if I were to write a book (I haven't), it would be for other moms that have troubled teens.. To let them know they're not alone, and to explain how I survived it..

I cried for about 3 years straight when Andrew was in his early teens..
And then one day Dana Williams who was my sister-in-law (Andrews Aunt) at the time (now she's just one of my very best friends), called me..
I had never heard anyone laughing so hard.. She asked me when they had made a movie about Andrew.. I was lost, but she proceeded to explain that she had just seen a preview for movie and if the main character wasn't my kid, she'd kiss my ass.. But she couldn't remember the name of the movie..
The next week, I saw the preview.. I called Dana in tears of laughter and told her she was right..
The movie - Malibu's Most Wanted.

That is the day I decided I couldn't cry any more (thanks D), and if I was to survive being the mother of a troubled teen, I was going to have to find the humor in it..
It was work.. His actions were never funny or something to be taken lightly.. Some times I would have to call Dana and ask her to help me find something funny in one situation or another.. Some times, the laughter would be at my own expense, some times it would be at his.. But I HAD to find something.

Many people in my life that haven't had to deal with a child like this, judged me. But it's a totally acceptable defence mechanism.. Even if you're reading this today and never knew about Andrews antics, you might think my humor tactic is wrong.. That's okay, it worked for me.

If you got a call at 2 in the morning that went something like "your son stole a car, ran from the cops, wrecked the stolen car, was under the influence, and doesn't have a drivers license", how would you react?
I lost my mind.. Cried, yelled at the cop that called, begged him to take Andrew home with him (he was an awesome man, very supportive and understanding as he dealt with a crazed mother) and then I laughed.. Not because what he did was at all funny.. I was completely mortified at that part.. Humiliated, pissed, you name it.. I laughed because I couldn't believe he wasn't smarter than that.. Who does something like that?? And I laughed because I pictured him jumping out of the car and trying to run, while he held his pants up (he does that gangsta sagging thing)

Back to the book part, which is where this post started (prime example of ADD).

So I decided a good way to test whether I could attempt a book was to try this blogging thing..
If I could get short little stories out, maybe I could do something bigger..
I never really expected comments when I started.. But they came, and I liked it..
Now I find myself constantly checking my blog to see if anyone commented on my posts..
And when there are no comments, I start thinking "hmm.. maybe no one liked it, or maybe they've all stopped reading"..
No I'm not fishing for comments, I don't comment on everyone else's blog..
I was just hoping I wasn't the only one with this teeny tiny case of paranoia.

Does anyone else get just a little disappointed if they don't get a comment?

6 comments:

bettiesue said...

As for me...I look with great anticaption to see when you add a new blog! I don't usually comment, but love the way your brain works, maybe that's my own A.D.D. or maybe I am full of envy that I don't see outside my box and can make a story out of everyday things! And if you write a book, I want a signed copy!
BettieSue

Janice said...

I am a guilty lurker....and sure that there are lukers on my page as well.
Keep writing!

Kerri said...

woohoo.. comments for me.. yeah baby..
Thank you!!!

Janice,
I don't mind a little lurking.. I'm a frequent lurker of A frog and her blog..
Since I've become a recluse, blogging is my only socialization.

BS,
Glad you're still out there.. I miss talking to you.. I hope all is well and that grand baby is doing good..
Thanks for your kind words.. It's hard to stay inside the box. I'm claustrophobic.

Amy said...

Sometimes I think I have ADD, too.

I remember telling you once (after a comical e-mail at Heatcraft) that you missed your calling. You should have been a writer. I would totally buy your book, but I expect you to sign it!

You can go to www.statcounter.com and set up an account. You can see how many people view your site. I know I have a lot of lurkers as well.

I think I have ADD, too. Did I already say that?

Kerri said...

Yes ma'am, you did tell me that..
Thank you.

With all this free time, you'd think I'd have started a book by now.. But all have is a dedication/thank you page (which will have a list of all my blog supporters).
And of course my son, who if he hadn't broken the law so many times, I would have no material.

I wish my ADD had been diagnosis when I was a kid.. Could have blamed all my detentions on it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.