Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The fat lady is singing

I have a reputation for not showing emotion..
But today is my last day at Heatcraft and it's all slamming down on me..

As I drove into work I thought "this is the last time I'll make this drive".
and so it goes.
This is the last time I'll sign onto this computer.
This is the last time I'll walk down this hall.
This is the last time I'll get a cup of coffee from this pot.
This is the last paycheck they're going to hand me.
This is the last time I'll pee in this bathroom.
I'm deleting personal stuff from my computer.
Sifting through ten years of emails I've saved.
Packing up ten years of crap that has accumulated in my desk.

I'm getting goodbye emails, and goodbye hugs from people I thought didn't even like me..
So little miss "never let 'em see you cry", has gone through a box of Kleenex..

And if one more person says "what's your plan?", I'm going to scream..
I don't have a plan.. Not even sorta.. I know I'm taking January to get my shit together..
Will I go back to school? Will I try to find a job that pays what this one does?
Will I go be just an LPN? Will I be willing to commute to Champaign?
Will I accept that I have to take a pay cut, and adjust my spending habits?
I have no answers to any of those questions..

This is what I know.. I'm gonna buy a treadmill and get my fat ass off the couch..
I'm gonna clean out my closet.. I'm gonna watch Oprah and Ellen..
I'm going to do some stuff with my mom..
And I'm going to purge Heatcraft from my system..

And then I'm gonna panic.. And hopefully that panic will set my on the right path for the rest of my life..

So this afternoon when I walk out of the Heatcraft door for the last time,
I'll look back and smile, and then I'll look forward to the next chapter in my life..
Whatever that may be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with everything Kerri!

Anonymous said...

I am missing you already!!
bs

Anonymous said...

Hey.. I am sitting here thinking of something to cheer you up.

You know like .. the "last" of the worst times we had, no more of this crap and that stuff... and guess what?

I can't think of any, not even the "mouse" incident. We did have the best of times, some days were better than others, but for the most part they were good times.

And I would like to think, with all the fun we had .. we did a dang good job at what we did as well.

And now they are gone..but at least
we still have our friendship.

Enjoy your time off PURGE..
I have.. you WILL feel a whole lot better.

Kerri said...

Bev- Yeah it was a good gig..
And I knew even if I had a bad day, you understood..

I hope I have a "Bevy" at my next job.. I couldn't have gotten through some of those days without you..

Bettie Sue- I hope it's going okay down there.