Friday, November 14, 2008

Irony at it's best.

As I mentioned in my profile, my son is a recovering juvenile delinquent.. What I mean by that is, we had several years of struggles and bad choices.. But at 19, he's living with his girlfriend, holding down a job, and paying his own bills (with an occasional supplement from the bank of mom).
He's doing much better now than I'd expected.. But with most 19 year olds, as much as they'd like to think they have, they haven't figured everything out.. He's no exception. And sometimes he'll say something that reminds me of how it was..

Trust me when I say, we are familiar with the police station.. We've been there on some not so pleasant occasions..
As a matter of fact, he knows many of the officers by first name because he was such a frequent flyer there.. If we're in public and see some of them, they'll say "Hey Andrew, how's it going".. We are not strangers to the "system"..
So this morning when I received a call from the PSB (Public Safety Building), all I could think was "here we go again" (with all recovering people, relapse is a constant risk)..
I was wrong.. My son's car broke down about two blocks from the station.. Not having a cell phone and not knowing anyone in the area, he had no choice but to walk to the station and use their phone to call for a ride..
When I hung up after talking to him, I chuckled to myself.. It was like he'd gone to an old friends house to use the phone..
It's ironic to me that the place he hated most a year ago, is the place he had to go for help..
This isn't the first time I've been wrong.. Two years ago my phone rang.. Caller ID said it was the Danville Police Department.. The conversation when like this:
Me: Hello (annoyed that I was going to have to pick him up again)
Her: Is this Kerri Rollins?
Me: Yes (in a voice that said I was about ready to rip someone's head off)
Her: This is so-and-so from the Danville Police Department.
Me: What the hell has he done now?
Her: excuse me?
Me: (spitting fire at this poor woman) You've got my kid, what did he do?
Her: Uh, I'm calling with the Police Benevolent Association looking for your support..
Me: Oh, no thanks.

No comments: